Some good negotiating fundamentals in an article by Inc
- Know when to shut up.
- Think of the long-term.
- Say no.
- Look at what’s good for all concerned.
- Always be ready to walk away.
From those suggestions I’ve had most success knowing when to keep still and being prepared to walk.
- Know your upper/lower limits, your non-negotiables going in.
- Focus on the key requirements to you – the minutiae can always be sorted if the fundamentals are agreed.
- Be prepared with facts – Knowledge is power.
- If you need something explained more fully, ask as many times as it takes until you are comfortable.
- Compromise – rare is the deal that gets done that’s completely one sided.
- Don’t rush!
What would you add?