US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has increased dramatically the number of I-9 audits in recent years. Violations can result in criminal and civil charges and significant monetary penalties.
Here are 5 tips to help you reduce your exposure.
- Do require all new hires to complete and sign Section 1 of Form I-9 on their first day of work.
- Do be sure to use the most current I-9.
- Do make copies of all documentation and keep on file for 3 years after hire date or 1 year after termination date whichever is later.
- Don’t ask an applicant to complete Form I-9 prior to making a job offer.
- Don’t ask employees for particular documents required by Form I-9 those are the employees choice.